IT'S GREAT TO BE GRAND!
Grandparents are a unique gift, providing wisdom and perspective wrapped in unconditional love. Grandparents can be the special friends who listen without judgment and speak from the heart.
Whether you regularly drop off or pick up your preschooler, or occasionally visit from out of town, know that your involvement in your young one’s classroom experience is memorable and meaningful.
Where every day
is Grandparent's Day
Join us: check back in the fall for our first scholar series of the 2016-17 year!
- Family Work Day
- Grandparent Scholar Series
- Gingerbread House Workshop
- Fathers, Grandfathers & Fatherly Figures
Every September, our families come together and volunteer to rake, paint, mulch and plant the school. While our parents and preschoolers are busy at work, grandparents are invited to sip coffee on the front porch and tour their grandchildren’s school.
Throughout the year we hold teas for grandparents with Head of School, Val Wise, for a lively discussion on child development or a current hot topic.
- Resilience in the Preschool Years
- Current state of the media & how we get our news (Speaker: Dina Cappiello)
- Conversation with Rachel Vogelstein, Senior Fellow and Director of Women and Foreign Policy Programs at the Council of Foreign Relations
- Neuroscience in the Nursery
- How Boys & Girls are Wired Differently
- The inequality in the lives of children in the US and around the world (Speaker: Maxine Freund)
- A Discussion with the Administrator of the United States Agency for International Development
- A Conversation with Political Strategist, David Plouffe
- The Value of Disappointments and Blessings
- Sharing Memories and Imparting Wisdom
- Why it takes a Village: "Granparenthood" then and now
Grandparents and their grandchildren are invited to the Gingerbread House Workshop held in December every year at a NCRC grandparent’s home. Spend the day icing houses, and decorating with handfuls of gum drops, graham crackers, and colorful sprinkles alongside your little one. It is a fun NCRC tradition we'd love to have you attend!
Throughout the year, breakfasts are held at NCRC to explore "daddying" and the role of father figures in our children's lives. Grandfathers are encouraged to attend these breakfast discussions with their grandchildren.
Aside from the events highlighted above, grandparents are always welcome to coordinate with teachers to come in and read to the class, share a tradition or skill, and see your grandchildren playing, learning and growing! Grandparents may also choose to join the community for other community-wide events: Pumpkin Party, Winter Celebration, Pajama Picnic, and the annual Tuition Assistance Auction in February (that is if you haven’t already been enlisted to watch your grandchildren for the evening.)